Author Topic: 64 bit windows  (Read 2102 times)

mhogg

• View Profile
64 bit windows
« on: April 10, 2012, 12:40:45 PM »
Hi,

I am running windows 7 64-bit. I have Python 2.7 64 bit from Enthought and Excel 2010 32-bit installed.

pyxll doesn't work, most probably because I have 64-bit version of python running. What would be the recommended way of getting it working? I know I could install 32 bit Python as well, but I am not sure if that is possible. Or are there plans to release a 64 bit version?

What would you suggest?

Thanks,
Michael

Tony

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: 64 bit windows
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 07:43:59 PM »
Hi Michael,

to use the 32 bit version of Excel and PyXLL you have to have a 32 bit build of Python installed. Fortunately it's no problem to have both the 64 bit and 32 bit versions of Python installed on the same PC at the same time.

If you decided you had to use the 64 bit version of Python you could try the new beta 64 bit version of PyXLL. This is only in beta but it should be perfectly stable enough for you to give it a go if you'd like to. You can only use this with the 64 bit version of Excel, however. It's not possible to have both the 32 bit and 64 bit versions of Office installed on the same PC to my knowledge.

I'll send you the details of how to get the beta 64 bit PyXLL. Please let me know how you get on, or if you have any other questions.

Best regards,
Tony

mhogg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 11:40:50 PM »
Hi Tony,

Thanks for that. I think I will try the 32 bit version of Python first as it will be easier to add than change my Excel version.

I do currently run multiple versions of Python 64 bit (2.6 and 2.7). I switch between these by changing my environment variables. I have one called PYTHONHOME (set to c:\python26 or c:\python27) which is then included in PATH. I assume that the way to add a 32 bit version would be similar or would you suggest a better way?

Thanks,
Michael

Tony

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 08:08:29 AM »
Hi Michael,

you don't even have to keep switching between the two. Just put both on your PATH and if you download the Python 2.6 version of PyXLL it will pick the right dll.

You can set the PYTHONPATHs for the two versions independently by settings them in the registry instead of using the PYTHONPATH environment variable. You should be able to find it under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Python\PythonCore\<version>\PythonPath. The 32 bit settings will be in SysWOW6432 folder under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.

Best regards,
Tony

kjc

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 01:51:21 PM »
Hi Tony, Is 64-bit pyxll still in beta?

Not a problem if so. I will use 32-bit until if so.

Tony

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 09:10:45 PM »
Hi,

yes, it's still in beta - but actually a lot of testing has been done and there are no more changes planned before releasing it properly, other than a couple of minor documentation and examples changes.

If you'd like to try it out I don't think you'll have any problems with it (but obviously please do let me know if you do!).

You can download it from http://beta.pyxll.com. The changelog and documentation are up to date.

This will also be the first release with Python 3 support (3.2 and 3.3). Python 2 will continue to be supported, from 2.3 onwards the same as before.

Best regards,
Tony