Author Topic: 64-bit / 32 bit  (Read 1171 times)

Setepenre

• View Profile
64-bit / 32 bit
« on: August 27, 2013, 01:19:04 AM »
I have a 64 bit Windows 8 OS
My Office is 32 bit 2010
My python is 64 bit 3.3

I will install python 32 bit. that should work (cause it doesnot, it raises the error that python33.dll is not here but it is)
Nevertheless, I raise the fact that it is not because the computer is 64-bit that everything is 64 bit on it.

you could try to manage these different case
or add an error type to said that people have got the wrong version of python

=)

Setepenre

• View Profile
Re: 64-bit / 32 bit
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 01:27:20 AM »
well it actually doesnot work

python33.zip doesnot exist in my case

Tony

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 01:30:03 PM »
Hi,

it's not possible to load a 32bit dll into a 64 bit process or vice versa, so there's not really much that can be done to manage these different cases other than raise an error as it does now. 32bit and 64bit processes have different paths and use different sections of the registry, so from one it's not really possible to tell that the other is installed - perhaps the error message could be extended to say to check the version of python installed matches Excel...

Your python path looks wrong to me. The python33.zip file isn't normally installed in your system folder. I would suggest uninstalling python and re-installing it completely. If you have changed the pythonpath yourself then try setting it back to how it was set by the installer.

Best regards,
Tony

crusby

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 09:10:20 AM »
I am in the same situation as Setepenre - my machine is 64-bit, most of my codebase is 64-bit ready, but my Excel is 32-bit (as are most of the add-ins).  In fact, Microsoft don't recommend upgrading to 64-bit Office.

It would be really cool if PyXLL could spin up an out-of-process 64-bit executable in which to run Python, and send the function calls (and the data which are, after all, only really ints / doubles / strings) between the stub library and the executable in a windows pipe...

Tony

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2013, 10:31:14 AM »
Hi,

microsoft don't recommend 64 bit because not all third party addins haven't yet been made available as 64 bit - although now many have been so I would suggest you check the other addins you need and it may be possible to use 64 bit versions of everything.

If you want to mix 32 bit and 64 bit then it's perfectly possible to have both versions of python installed at the same time. There are plenty of python packages that support inter-process communication already so you could have a 32 bit pyxll addin that calls out to a 64 bit python process using any of those (e.g. multiprocessing, pyro, win32com - pyro or an out of process com server using win32com would suit what you're talking about very well). This will obviously not be as efficient as doing everything in process though.

Best regards,
Tony