Author Topic: PyXLL not available in Canopy Package Manager 64bit  (Read 887 times)

andybuck

• View Profile
PyXLL not available in Canopy Package Manager 64bit
« on: October 16, 2014, 06:02:00 PM »
Hi

I've Excel 2013 64 bit and Canopy 64 bit.

In the Canopy Package Manager, under Available Packages I see pyxll 2.2.1-4, but there is no "Install" option. Instead it has "Subscribe" option. I use Canopy Express.

On the Canopy website pyxll is not even listed under Complete list of packages, so I don't know if paid version of Canopy will help.

I've downloaded the pyxll package for python 2.7 and 64 bit, but don;t know what to do with it.

Can anyone please help? My main aim is to move away from VBA to using python.

Thanks

Tony

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: PyXLL not available in Canopy Package Manager 64bit
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 07:05:17 PM »
Hi,

you should contact enthought support (http://code.enthought.com/support).

They will be able to help you, either by providing you with an evaluation license and access to the pyxll download through their package manager, or by helping you download and install it from the pyxll website.

It is possible to install and use pyxll with canopy without installing it from the canopy package manager by downloading it directly from the pyxll website - but the setup can be slightly more complicated as it will need to know all the canopy python paths. If you make a canopy python environment your default environment (which you can do from the canopy settings) then that will make it easier as then pyxll will just find that environment automatically.

Best regards,
Tony

andybuck

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 09:19:26 PM »
Canopy python is my default python environment.

Can you please guide me how to directly install pyxll from the package downloaded from the pyxll site?

Tony

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 09:23:27 AM »
Hi,

if you have the canopy python as your default (ie if you start a plain cmd prompt and type 'python' and it all works) then installing pyxll should be straightforward. You just need to unzip the file downloaded from pyxll.com/download.html and install the addin in Excel - the same as you would for any other python distribution (see https://www.pyxll.com/docs/quickstart.html#installing-with-other-python-distributions).

If you want the canopy package, however, please email pyxll.support@enthought.com and they will be able to give it to you.

Please let me know if you have any more problems!

Best regards,
Tony

andybuck

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 11:07:04 AM »
Thanks, this has now been resolved.