Author Topic: Error creating activation context -- can't seem to get PYXLL installed correctl  (Read 809 times)

bhontz

• View Profile
Dear Support,

I have been using python for some time, albeit in a mac environment.  Had some problems getting Pyxll installed on my mac under parallels, using office 2010 32 bit and active state 32 bit python. 

Ultimately I pulled out an older Windows laptop running XP with Office 2003.  I installed Canopy and upon installation, received an "Error creating Activation Context" message.  I have attached the log file snippet here.  By my observation, everything seems to be loading fine with the exception of this error.

What would you advise as next steps for diagnosis and resolution?

Thank you in advance,
Brad Hontz

Tony

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Hi,

hmm I think that error should actually just be a warning. I think it's most likely to be caused by an incompatibility between some of the pyxll code and the old version of windows you're using.

If everything else is working ok just ignore it for now. I will investigate whether it should be skipped for older versions of windows of if there's something else that needs to be done. The activation context stuff is only really needed for excel 2010 and later versions, so I don't think it should cause you any problems.

Best regards,
Tony

bhontz

• View Profile
Tony,

Thank you for your very prompt reply, I hadn't even considered trying to move forward given the error message dialog in Excel.

I'll proceed with the "hello world" example and report back.

Fingers crossed,
Brad

bhontz

• View Profile
Tony,

I feel the problem with the "activation context" error is the inability for me to raise the add-in menu to select the newly created formula.

I am getting a log file from the process which looks like I'm adding my new function to the menu (see attachment) but ultimately I don't have a way to select that function as I'm not able to expose the add-in menu within Excel.  I'm suspecting this is due to the "activation context" error.

Thoughts?

Brad

Tony

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Hi Brad,

have you tried entering the function in a cell? (Eg '=helloworld()')

If you want your function to appear as a menu item you have to use the xl_menu decorator, not xl_func.

Best regards,
Tony

ps. I have a feeling that updating windows to the last service pack would fix the activation context problem. Possibly you are running a very old version of xp that doesn't have sevice pack 2 installed.

bhontz

• View Profile
Well after continuing to wrestle with the install, first using a 16mg Macbook pro running mountain lion / parallels w/office 2010, then an older XP / Office 2003 dell laptop, I borrowed a not quite as old dell laptop running Win7 / Office 2010 and was able to successfully install.

One difference I immediately noted between the successful attempt and "fails" was the Licensing dialog prompt (i.e. "you have 30 days").  I never received this dialog in my prior attempts (at least 4 installs/uninstalls) and was frankly surprised (pleasantly) to see it pop up.  Additionally, it my prior cases I was never able to invoke the Add-In menu item in Excel.

I feel I'm on the way now, so do want to thank you for your support.

Tony

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Hi,

glad you got it working. I'll get a VM with pre-SP2 XP to try to reproduce the problem you were having. Sorry for the problems you've had.

Best regards,
Tony